Great Plains Harmony, an active men's chorus of 40 singers located in the Fargo Moorhead metro, is seeking a new music director to begin December 2022.
As members of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we are the current Land O' Lakes District Chorus Champion and have competed at the BHS International competitions in 2013 and 2018. In addition to performing music in the barbershop style, we also sing vocal jazz, gospel, and choral arrangements.
Each member is committed to learning music outside of rehearsal so that valuable chorus time is spent improving the ensemble. We rehearse weekly, have high performance standards, and receive outside coaching on a regular basis. Our membership includes several strong music and organizational leaders.
We have collaborated and shared the stage with several local ensembles such as the Fargo-Moorhead Youth Choir, NDSU Statesman, rock band Foreigner, Fargo-Moorhead Community Theater, Lake Agassiz Girls Choir, and the Heart of Lakes Chorus.
- Develop a long-term (12-18 month) music plan for the chapter to improve the musical quality and management of the chorus.
- Collaborate with the music team for planning repertoire, developing a music learning plan, and setting performance/attendance expectations for members.
- Supervise music team members who assist with teaching the chorus. This could include assistant director(s), section leaders, and vocal coaches.
- Plan and execute weekly chorus rehearsals; including any required teaching tasks needed by the music team. Approximately 3 hrs per week.
- Direct public performances of the chorus. Our recent history has included two concert weekends with two performances each weekend. Competing in Barbershop Harmony Society contests typically involves one weekend in the fall and one day in the spring. On occasion the chorus is asked to perform for various local events.
- Attend requested music team meetings and planning sessions. Typically 4 per year.
- Attending monthly chorus board meetings is optional.
- Help establish the frequency and expectations of prospective performances.
- Help determine the standards for membership in the chorus.
- Supervise voice placement and auditioning of new members. Assist with integrating new members into the chorus.
- Encourage and assist quartets as possible.
- Attend schools and training sessions for chorus directors as appropriate. The chapter shall pay the director’s approved expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, music education, or related field is preferred.
- Experience working as a chorus/choir director.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and direct various styles of music.
- Strong leadership and teaching skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- A passion for music.
How to apply
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to [email protected].
Additional materials may be requested after initial reviews.